Red Butte Garden – consists of a botanical garden, arboretum, and amphitheater operated by the University of Utah, in the foothills of the Wasatch Range in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is open year-round to the public. Red Butte Garden contains over 100 acres of botanical gardens and several miles of hiking trails through native vegetation. Red Butte Creek runs within the northern part of the park.
The garden began in 1930, when Dr. Walter P. Cottam, co-founder of The Nature Conservancy and chairman of the Botany Department at the University of Utah, began using campus land for plant research. In 1961, the Utah legislature designated the University’s campus landscape as the State Arboretum. In 1983, the University dedicated 100 acres at the mouth of Red Butte Canyon for a regional botanical garden.